Wednesday 13 February 2013

Rebol3 is dead, long live to Rebol3Bazaar

I've been quiet for a long while, and this blog is not easy for me to write.
I'm sitting here with a glass of 2013 Ferrarelle mineral water of the glass bottle... hoping to be inspired on how to write this...
No, bad introduction...
You know that Rebol is a fantastic programming language, but its development was discontinued and bad supported. A lot of people when encounter Rebol falls in love for its simplicity, a blend of theory, experimentation, and invention, the language embodies elegant and wonderful concepts and properties. It was and is the most productive language I've ever used. I hope your experience has been similar.

Unfortunately a lot of bad events are leading Rebol to a no through road:
  • no direction of the new Rebol3
  • no a central site open for discussion
  • no updates on Rebol 3 source (well, just one every month)
  • too many sites about Rebol and with no updates from years

These and other reasons forced me to create http://rebol.informe.com/portal.html a public forum, with a public wiki and a blog, where everybody can contribute. The result is just 17 users, this means that Rebol is dying; the cathedral way of Rebol 3  development is not working.
So I'm forced by my love for Rebol to create a new GitHub repository: Rebol 3 Bazaar, it's a Rebol 3 source, with graphic working (VID, but just on windows at the moment); I promise you:
If you like to contribute write me, use GitHub or Rebol portal; you don't need to be a programmer, think about a new logo, contribute the wiki.
I draw the following logo, what do you think?


If you know REBOLers who might be interested in this discussion, please let them know about this blog posting. I look forward to hearing from you,
-Max

4 comments:

  1. You may add your logo also here:
    https://github.com/angerangel/r3bazaar/wiki/Logo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long Live REBOL3 BAZAAR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see that REBOL has some life! Its a great language. It should not have the fate it has now. I hv been a programmer for almost 20 years and have met many languages on the way!! One of the best is still REBOL!! Its a great language CARL!! THANKS A LOT FOR GIVING REBOL A LIFE!!! IT ENDS A LOT OF FRUSTRATIONS!!

    LOVE REBOL! LOVE REBOL BAZAAR!!

    ReplyDelete