Rebol has VID as a "dialect" to create a window, with text, buttons and much more with few lines of code, example:
view layout [text "Hello REBOL World!"]
Many users improved the style of VID windows, one of the most famus is RebGUI (http://www.dobeash.com/rebgui.html), you can download Rebgui from here: http://www.dobeash.com/download.html
VID extension kit is another improvement of VID, you can download it from:
In order to use it the first command is:
>> do http://www.maxvessi.net/rebsite/vid-ext-kit.r
then try this:
>> main: make-window [
h3 "Main Window" return
label "Enter Name"
>> view main
One of the main features is that all windows are resizable!!! WOW! and:
- A collection of new styles for VID to make it more complete.
- Heavy modifications to existing styles to make them more flexible.
- A small set of rules defined to restrict, but also lift the capability of the user interface to a new level. This helps to:
- Simplify the creation, validation and data gathering of forms.
- Provide tabbed keyboard navigation.
- Provide a consistent skin across the entire UI using a single skin file.
- Provide full window resizing and face alignment extensions in the dialect.
- Give a user interface meaning and structure as opposed to being a bunch of faces, you have to address absolutely.
- A collection of functions for managing faces, such as:
- Very easy face traversal, moving back and forth, up and down in the face tree. Faces become a bit more aware of their surroundings, although not fully.
- Face traversal based on criteria, useful for finding a specific face by style, flag or any other method.
- Individual keyboard navigation per style, through the key-face* accessor.
- Disabling and enabling faces and panels, also with customizable disable/enable accessors per style.
- Validating INPUT faces and panels.
- A few new styles that are data-only, i.e. invisible styles that provide new operations to the dialect at parse time and connect faces. This is generally used for field validation for now.
- A collection of more sensible requesters that take full advantage of the new window layout, resizing and styles.
The main guide to the VID extension KIT is the following: href="http://hmkdesign.dk/project.rsp?id=vid-ext-kit&page=docs§ion=user&name=vid-extension-kit-user-manual.txt
Then you can find more guides on: http://hmkdesign.dk/project.rsp?id=vid-ext-kit&page=docs
Unfortunately the guides don't cover all topics, so to understand all the features of the best and quick way is to download the following file: href="https://github.com/henrikmk/VID-Extension-Kit/zipball/master; go in the tests directory and try all the tests.